Friday, 15 April 2016
Tuesday, 12 April 2016
Despite the fact that every home has at least one and we all make use of them for many different functions, bathrooms are often poorly designed with very little space planning consideration. A bathroom should be an inviting space that is organized, easy to clean and accessible by the whole family. Due to the high volume of questions I get about redesigning bathrooms, I thought I would share my top five tips for creating a functional bathroom for your lifestyle.
1. Storage: This is one of the most important aspects when creating a bathroom plan that works for your family and lifestyle. At the beginning, I consider who will be using it and what items they need to be able to store in their bathroom. Once this is determined, we can decide if a custom vanity is required, or if open shelving should be incorporated for easy access.
2. Finishes: Although natural stone might be a gorgeous finish, the maintenance involved in keeping it that way may not be realistic for your lifestyle. I assist my clients in choosing finishes that are practical, yet beautiful. There are many products today designed for high-end looks but are lower maintenance for busy families.
3. Lighting: Different levels of light in the form of wall sconces, pot lights or a ceiling fixture can all be combined to create great lighting that can be adjusted to suit any task from precisely applying make-up and getting your children ready for school to relaxing in a soothing bath at the end of a long day.
4. Fixtures: While a bathtub is essential for bathing kids and for keeping your resale value high, if space warrants, a standalone shower can be an excellent way to add value and function to your bathroom. Similarly, choosing a slide bar shower head is great for washing kids and pets, while making cleaning a breeze. Fixtures can make a big difference in efficiency for your bathroom.
5. Space: Space planning is an important consideration when creating a functional bathroom. There has to be ample space at the vanity for personal grooming, around the tub if you’re kneeling to bathe your children and a transition area where there is room to dry off with a fluffy towel after your bath or shower without worrying about bumping into anything.
For what is typically a small space in a home, your bathroom has a lot of functionality that has to be carefully thought out for it to be a space that works for you. If this has inspired you to revisit the layout of your bathroom and you want to improve its usability, space planning is where we should start!
Thursday, 7 April 2016
Tuesday, 16 February 2016
Custom upholstery can bring a room together. It can encapsulate a homeowner’s design tastes and provide a welcoming appeal to the broader home environment. Although, homeowners across Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, and the GTA often struggle in selecting their ideal custom upholstery without design experts by their side. Together, we’ll analyze the challenges you might face if you choose to take on custom upholstery integration without an experienced interior decorator acting as the guide.
The Challenges in Fitting the Design Process within Your Schedule
The leading problem faced by many homeowners across Mississauga, Burlington, Oakville and the GTA face when selecting custom upholstery is in fitting the design and selection process within their schedules. It can take time to source the right product within your budget, and this time can detract from working commitments and hours better spent with family. By choosing and experienced interior decorator, homeowners will have an expert who can take on the product sourcing, spatial planning and project management work for them. This ensures they can simply communicate directly with the designer to ensure their needs are met and that the project is moving forward.
Costs May Change at a Moment’s Notice When Going it Alone
Homeowners without experience in the interior design marketplace have limited understanding on the materials and the product options available. This lack of experience can often cause you to go over budget. You may believe that a certain fabric has a set price, but then find out it requires an additional attachment that adds further expenditure to the project. Working with an interior designer can ensure that all the costs are itemized and considered as part of the wider project budget. Experienced interior designers will be able to tell you when an item might be beyond your current budgetary means, and may be able to present with you with similar, more cost-effective alternatives. This experience within our marketplace means that expert designers can often save you a significant amount of money throughout your custom upholstery design project.
Your Installation Teams Have Not been Independently Verified
Working alone on your custom upholstery project increases the risk of experiencing unforeseen difficulties with your installation team. Entrusting your needs to an interior design company will ensure the ideal installer is chosen for the work. The company will have verified the installer’s credentials and can ensure they’re exceptionally qualified for the process ahead.
If you’re about to begin a custom upholstery installation within your home, it’s important to plan the process carefully alongside an experienced interior decorator. Expert guidance from Katie Campbell Interiors and Design can help ensure the perfect final project result. To learn more, contact our design team directly at 416.988.3428 or visit our website.